Ten things about me. Because you have to start somewhere.
- I’ve spent the past 5 + years of my life in a high school classroom. I’ve only got a few weeks left before I turn the page to life as a SAHM. While I am really excited about this opportunity to devote myself full-time to my son, I will miss my awesome colleagues and the hilariously ridiculous things that you encounter on a daily basis as a high school teacher. I will also miss the opportunity to talk books all day. Jude doesn’t understand the poetic beauty of Keats or Wordsworth. Not yet anyway.
- I had a blog before and had a few readers during the period of time when I updated it. I abandoned it eventually, but I hope to be better this time. Writing is therapeutic and motherhood is challenging. I figure it’s a good combination.
- I met my husband 10 years ago. We dated for 5 years before we got married. As evidenced, I am not an impulsive person.
- My husband, on the other hand, is quite the opposite. He is spontaneous and goofy. He says and does ridiculous things quite often. This is why I love him.
- I’ve always been interested in natural living (I grew up going to a homoeopathist and eating garden-fresh veggies), but having a child really put me on overdrive in that regard. I think when you look at this tiny, defenseless little thing who is so new to the world, you get really protective and don’t want anything harmful to make its way in to that little body if you can help it. I labored unmedicated (although – long, long story – delivered by Cesarean birth). I cloth diaper. I breastfeed. I follow an alternate vaccine schedule. I make my own baby food. I’m getting used to people assuming I am nuts.
- A few months ago, my husband and I saw Food, Inc. I’m not exaggerating that it completely changed my perspective of food. We are gradually phasing out all processed foods around here, and we don’t eat anything with a processed ingredient we cannot pronounce. (And that’s A LOT of stuff on grocery shelves, people.) Bonus: Those stubborn last seven pounds of baby weight fell off in only three weeks of eating real food.
- I love British poetry. All poetry really. But I can bore you for hours discussing British Romanticism.
- I was an English major and have an M.A. in English as well. I love books and miss college.
- I love to read, obviously, but I don’t have the time for it that I used to. I am trying to change this.
- This blog will be full of nauseatingly cute photos like this one. I love my Jude.